Was a hamlet at the southern corner of the Greenock School Section, built on the corner of four townships and in two counties: Erin and Eramosa in Wellington County and Esquesing and Nassagaweya in Halton County. The name was given in honour of a local family about 1845.
It was first called Ryckman's Corner, named after Samuel Ryckman, the surveyor of Eramosa and Nassagaweya Townships. In 1822, Morgan Crewson purchased W 1/2 lot 1, con. 1, Erin Township, and in 1845, the family purchased E 1/2 lot 1, con. 1. The stone house was built on the West half, in 1833, and the stone barn was completed in 1845, having taken ten years to build. These two buildings are still in use by recent owners, Mr. and Mrs. Abram. The Old York Trail was the main road from Guelph to Toronto.
The widow of Lachlan Currie, and her ten children, came from Islay, Scotland, in 1830, and settled in Caledon, when her youngest son, Alexander, was eight years of age. When he grew up, he chose lot 13, con. 4, Erin Twp. for his farm, and brought an older gentleman to see the property. It was virgin forest with stoney soil, and the older man said, "I pity the girl you bring here as your wife." He was thinking of the number of stones to be picked. However, two years later, in 1845, Alexander Currie married the gentleman's daughter, Ann McDougall. Miss Ada Currie, first President of Wellington County Historical Society, and her brother, Errett Currie, of this farm were grandchildren. Currie's Hill was named after the Currie family. Alexander's brother, Neil, took up E-1/2 lot 13. Another brother was Duncan Currie who opened a General Store in Belwood in 1856, and went to Saskatchewan with his son, Sandy, in early 1900's.
Originally called Dublin after the number of Irish settlers who came from that area about 1840. The closest Post Office was Fergus, and the community applied to the Government for a local Post Office. It was granted under the name, Mimosa. Henry Reed was the first Postmaster, with Post Office in his own home on E-1/2 lot 28, con. 2, Erin Twp., the farm later known as the Ernest Awery farm. Mail came once a week, brought from Fergus by Edward Mooney, who delivered mail to several Post Offices on his way to Orton.
At its peak, Mimosa Hamlet had two stores, two hotels, a shoe shop, blacksmith shop, chopping mill and several homes. The coming of the Credit Valley Railway in 1879, brought a station and Post Office to Orton, which was the downfall of Mimosa.
Brisbane is located on the Guelph Road, now No. 24 Highway, at the 7th line corner, two concessions west of Erin Village. Brisbane was surveyed as a village in 1854, and was at first named "Bristol". There were several streets: King, Queen, James, Nelson, St. Paul, and Concession Street. A Service Station now sits on the site of the old Post Office, where Joshua Ashley was Postmaster. For the convenience of those who called for their mail, he sold tobacco, gum, candy, school supplies, etc. At one time the population reached 27 persons. The Stage Coach driven by Wm. Nevills, brought Mail from Guelph, two or three times a week. Later, mail arrived every day except Sunday. The Stage supplied transportation for six or seven passengers.
On the Ephriam Barbour farm, on 7th line, stood a tall tower, said to have been built by the Germans. It was removed at the beginning of W.W. I, but the property is still known as the "Tower Farm". From the top of the Tower, one had a tremendous view of the beautiful countryside.
Hillsburgh with its many ponds, did not suffer for want of open air ice space, even in the early days. $1,000 was raised at the street dance in 1925, to be used for the erection of a Skating Rink. An efficient committee formed a stock company, selling shares at $10 each. "Then, as now, people of the Burg got behind their undertakings, and with everybody helping, the arena was started in late October, and finished by Christmas". "In 1952, hockey regulations called for a larger ice surface, and a 30-foot extension was added to the arena. This cost $3,000 and was handled by notes". "In 1966, an artificial ice plant was installed at a cost of $16,500. As usual, local men turned in to help, cutting costs, and by the end of the first season, it was paid for". Hillsburgh has always been a sports-minded town.
In late February, 1976, Hillsburgh was brought up with a jolt, along with a number of other local towns, when their arena was designated unsafe for use, according to modern Government safety standards, and the building was closed. Changes and rebuilding were promptly done to bring the building up to modern safety standards.